Monday, August 11, 2014

Where's our Money Tree?!?

I used to think I was pretty good with my money. When I was 16 I saved every cent I had to pay for a trip to England. Two years later I scrimped and saved to go on a missions trip to Mexico, a year later I paid for my first year of college and a trip to New York. 

Then I met my husband. I'm not blaming him for the change in my spending habits, but I definitely stopped saving as much and spending a little bit more. Ten years, two kids, and a house later money is much tighter than it's ever been.  

In a way we're better off than most couples we know. We own our house which has a large backyard (nearly unheard of in our area),two vehicles, hubs runs his own business and I don't work (more on that later). We're also healthy, and happy (not counting the 5 y/o's tantrums). That's not to say we're not struggling in the money department. Hubs has made some mistakes with running the business and we ended up owing te government. Big time!!! We're still paying that debt off. I also chose a lower car payment with a longer term, than a higher payment/short term like I should have. (Trust me I'm kicking myself now)

These days instead of having two incomes, I'm a stay at home mom to a 5 y/o and a 12 m/o. I'm not returning to work because we'd be paying more for daycare, gas, and car insurance than I'd bring home. So once again I'm scrimping and saving, but instead of an amazing trip as our reward, we have our eyes set on a bigger prize. Being financially stable by 2015. Lowering our payments, and surviving on one income. 





No comments:

Post a Comment