Friday, August 29, 2014

Eek! Kindergarten already!!

I still can't believe my baby boy will be 5 in just a few weeks an starting kindergarten (hopefully!) next week. It seems like yesterday he was a teeny tiny little newborn we had to leave in the NICU. I'm sure when I drop him off at his first day of school my heart will be breaking like it did 5 years ago. *sniff* 

One thing I'm not looking forward to is making school lunches. I'd love to be one of those moms who spends time making bento boxes everyday with Disney characters out of cheese and meat, fruit kabobs, and all those other cute fussy things. That's just not for me! 1. I don't think my kid would appreciate it (they want food and want it now!) 2. I'd prefer to throw together nutritious lunch, so I can get back to folding laundry and watching a show before I have to get up deal with my grumpy kids the next morning. (It's not fun being the only morning person!)



In an attempt to ease into the school year I made some Corn Dog Pops (aka Mini muffins) My son will eat practically anything if it's in the shape of a ball, so I used my Babycakes Cake Pop maker. I altered my gf's recipe to our tastes, adding in cheese to keep the muffin less crumbly, mustard for a bit of flavour, and upping hotdogs (the guys love their meat, what can I say?)

Back to School Corn Dog Pop

1-3/4 cups cornmeal
3/4 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp mustard
1/2 cup grated cheese
1/4 cup honey
1-1/2 cups milk
1/4 oil
2 eggs
8 hotdogs, quartered and sliced

If you don't have a cake pop maker like I used, preheat your oven to 425. 

In a small bowl mix the dry ingredients, including cheese and hot dogs, set aside. 

Mix the wet ingredients with the dry all at once. 

Bake in the oven 8-10 mins, or in the cake pop maker for 3-5. 

Each mini muffin or cake pop cavity holds 1 tbsp. I was able to get 72 corn dog pops! If I put three in a lunch they'll last for 24 lunches. 

If you plan on freezing them as I did, lay them all out on a cookie sheet to freeze. Then put them on a ziplock bag or other container. They won't stick to each other this way and will make it easier to grab a few out of the bag. 

Here they are all ready to go in the freezer!



No comments:

Post a Comment