Friday, August 15, 2014

Hubs and his hummus

If I were to buy prepared hummus as fast as hubs ate it, we'd be spending $20+ a week on it. He will eat an entire container in a sitting, by himself! This after four years of telling him he had to try it, and him repeatedly refusing. Then one day while at my parents for dinner he started raving about the veggie dip and how I had to try it! 'Yes sweetie, that's the hummus I'd given up on..... You're pretty...."

So now I make a double batch at least once a week, and so will he! I buy dried chickpeas now, instead of using cans to save even more. It take a bit more planning, as you have to soak them overnight, but he eats so much it's worth it! This is another recipe that freezes well if you make too much, or also go through it so fast you can't keep up. 

Another tip if you're planning on making this a lot, buy your tahini from the ethnic aisle instead of the nut butter section. I spent $6.99 on a big tub of tahini, instead of $5.99 for a jar less than half it's size! It's crazy how much prices with differ on the same products, but different brands and placement with in the same store. I try to make notes as I shop on certain items when I know it could be in a few different areas. 



Hubby's Hummus

1 can chickpeas (or 1 cup reconstituted dried chickpeas)
1/4 cup tahini
2 cloves garlic 
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup water

Blend all ingredients together until you reach the desired texture. 



No comments:

Post a Comment